The Pier Antique Show, continuing through today in Manhattan, was one of the most enjoyable shows I have attended in some time. There I found a wide variety of merchandise, and knowledgeable dealers. One of the nicest things is when you come away from a show with new knowledge or new interest. I had valuable conversations about antique ceramic tiles, Wedgewood and Royal Doulton in the 1876 Philadelphia Exposition. What I didn't see was much 19th Century American furniture. Talking with one local dealer about this, he said "brown furniture is out," and he couldn't bring it to shows anyway, because it's too heavy. One piece I did see was a 19th Century Classical sofa, with circa 1970s black plastic upholstery. "I can't believe they did that to it," I said to the dealer. She seemed somewhat defensive, so I added, "I bet it wouldn't have sold otherwise though." She responded with "probably not."

Delicious Bookmark this on Delicious

0 comments: