It was a beautiful day for a trip North. And Eric and I took the suggestion from a friend and hopped onto the Metro North. Just 72 minutes away from Grand Central, Cold Spring NY feels so laid back as if life has not changed that much since the 19th century.

Hudson River is much wider than what I had expected. The cliffs are high and mountains layered. On the train, I watched the grand panorama in awe not just because of its natural beauty but also its history with Thomas Cole and Edwin Church, both of whose houses have been preserved nowadays.

Along the Main street of Cold Spring, we explored most of the antique stores. Except one high-end stores with meticulous Mahogany veneered pier tables and side boards, other stores are fun to sift through. An old women told me how to tell whether a cloisonne was made in China or Japan. It looked fairly old, then I saw in the same locked cabinet a very amateurishly carved alabaster statue of Nefertiti, probably from a souvenir market store. I have seen the picture of the famous statue now residing in Berlin, well simply put the alabaster statue definitely cannot justify her beauty. To make things worse, the old lady said that she had another one and pointing up to the top of a cabinet behind her. This Nefertiti head statue turned out to be black color , more like a head of the female mannequin from Macy's.

Eric and I picked the restaurant at the corner of Rt 9D and Rt 301, which is housed in a historical building dated in 1830's. I had the biggest burger in my life and nevertheless I finished it. In the restaurant, we met people from Boston. The owner of the restaurant spend quite some time to explain why he thought the building was built in 1850's, which was contradictory to what is said in the guide brochure.

For more about the history of Cold Spring, visit here.



Delicious Bookmark this on Delicious

0 comments: